Thread: About the License Problem

Default About the License Problem

I am a green hand to ham radios and have just bought a BaoFeng UV-5R. I'm aware that I may have to apply for a license for this radio, but the procedure seems a little complicated for me.
    I found a tuturial that also explains this problem in details. I guess I should post it here for those who also need it.

The manual: http://www.arrl.org/ham-radio-license-manual

Start with Chapter 1. Find a club; go to meetings; study the material, asking club members for help and explanations; take test.

Why did you buy the radio in the first place?
    Pat K7KBN
    Semper ubi sub ubi.

Quote Originally Posted by sinking View Post
    may have to apply for a license
    Yes, you will need a callsign, people you speak to risk losing their license and their equipment, plus a fine (that includes you).

The procedure may seem complicated, but it only has to be done once - join your local club, they will be happy to assist you in any way they can...

+1 on the local club. you can take online trial test also.

good luck

Exclamation get that license

Quote Originally Posted by sinking View Post
    I am a green hand to ham radios and have just bought a BaoFeng UV-5R. I'm aware that I may have to apply for a license for this radio, but the procedure seems a little complicated for me.
    I found a tuturial that also explains this problem in details. I guess I should post it here for those who also need it.

The manual: http://www.arrl.org/ham-radio-license-manual
    search on http://www.arrl.org for when and where there is a test, it is not that difficult, and I recommend taking more then just the technician class, it's not that much harder to get General, and the additional privileges are more then worth the trouble. The tests usually do not cost much to take, I paid $15 and could have taken the Amateur Extra as well if I had been ready. Far better then the rather pricey fines that you can get for use of that nice little radio without the license (I have that same radio)

---
    Chad N. Lampson (KC9YYE)
    Washburn, WI

www.HamExam.org has all of the questions available to study and review, and it also lets you take mock exams and records your percentages for each subelement of the tests. It's a great site for studying.