Thread: First radio FT-2900R or IC-2200H

Default First radio FT-2900R or IC-2200H

I am looking for my first ham radio and I can decide whether I should buy the Yaesu FT-2900R or the Icom IC-2200H. I was thinking of buying the Icom because it has the ability to receive on the Aircraft band. But I have also heard many complaints that it is difficult to program and that the menus aren't very well made. Also the Yeasu is 75 W whereas the Icom is 65 W. Can anyone give me any advice on which one to buy.
    Thanks in advance.

I used to own the Yaesu FT-2800 (its predecessor), and I currently own an Icom IC-2200H.

Both radios are fully capable 2m mobiles. I think it will come down to personal preference on how they feel to operate and which one you can get for the best price.

I only got rid of the FT-2800 because I wanted to pick up a 2m/70cm mobile. If money had permitted, I would still own it.

The menus on both are pretty typical for modern mobiles and neither is a particular problem once you have sat down and read the manual.

The IC-2200H has the option to fit a D-Star board if that floats your boat...
    Last edited by 2E0JTP; Wed 4th May 2011 at 19:08.

Thanks for your reply.
    I've been considering this and I wanted to ask, do you think that it would be worth paying the extra $130 for the FT-7900R and how much difference would it make by dropping the power from 75W to 50W.
    Thanks

I guess it depends on whether you have 70cm repeaters in your area or not. In my area, we have quite a lot of 70cm repeaters, but most people rag chew on 2m simplex, hence the need for a dual band rig.

The FT-7900R is a really good dual band radio. It's particularly good for night time mobile operation due to the screen/button layout and illumination.

Is it worth an extra $130?

How much would it cost to buy and install an additional 70cm radio alongside the existing 2m rig?

You would need the Radio and a Duplexer most likely, that's going to be a LOT more than $130.

Unless you specifically know why you only want a 2m mobile, you're going to be much better off in the long run buying a dual band rig. More money up front, but save $$$ in the long run.

As for the difference between 75W and 50W. Well, there is a difference, but it's not as much as you would imagine. In the UK, I can't image why anyone would need 75W for mobile 2m operation, we just don't have the open terrain for it. In the US? You guys have a lot more open space than we do, so the extra 25W may push your signal further out in the open countryside I guess.

In reception terms the difference between 50W and 75W is miniscule. On the receivers S-meter it will only be seen as barely the width of the s meter (if it has an meter as opposed to a bar-graph.) From 50 to 100 watts is a doubling of output power which is 3 db, or half an s-point.
    The easiest and by far the best way to increase output is to improve the antenna. Instead of a stumpy vertical get a longer one.

Thanks for your replies,
    I went ahead and bought the FT-7900. I just have one more question, I was reading through the manual and saw that it had a built-in duplexer. What does that mean? And if I wanted to use two dedicated UHF and VHF antennas how would I do that?
    Thanks

I made one a while back, works better than I expected

Not sure if it would take 75W though, I have used it with 25W continuously - any more power and you'd need higher Voltage capacitors...

Quote Originally Posted by x51 View Post
    I was reading through the manual and saw that it had a built-in duplexer. What does that mean?
    Are you sure you aren't thinking of an FT-8900?

Quote Originally Posted by x51 View Post
    if I wanted to use two dedicated UHF and VHF antennas how would I do that?
    Thanks
    You would either need to make a Demetrius special or purchase something like these: Duplexers. They allow you to have two separate antennas (one VHF, one UHF) attached to the radio at the same time. Alternatively, you can attach one VHF radio and one UHF radio to one single dual band antenna.