Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KENWOOD TS 2000

Default KENWOOD TS 2000

I have an uncontrollable urge to purchase a kenwood ts 2000.The problem is i don't really need one,my yeasu ft 897d is fine,get's out great.I did want an hf only rig but went off the idea.Yes, i think the kenwoods the one,but i must find a reason to need it :twisted:

Default Re: KENWOOD TS 2000

Go get a piece of paper.

Write down all the good points and bad points of each rig.

Now throw in bin and keep the FT-897. It's a Mobile, Base and Portable Rig. Do you need a Base only TXr?
    Paul, MØTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign

If you go for the Kenwood, remember that it is long in the tooth now, and over 10 years old - you wouldn't buy a 'new' PC if it were a 10 year old model, would you?

I was a died in the wool Kenwood from 1994 to 2008, but now own no Kenwood kit, it's all Yaesu or Icom now. Kenwood have had no new HF gear since the TS-2000 and seem to be concentrating on the UHF/VHF market, and as their entire Amateur Radio business amounts to <1% of their business, how long before they dump Ham radio all together? - There is not even a sniff of a hint of any new HF gear in the future.

I have an FT-2000 now, and am about to buy an FT-857D for my car/portable ops.

I really would not consider a Kenwood hf Radio now, why not look at an FT-450 or 950?

Jim

I might be wrong but Kenwood did bring out the TS480 series radios after the TS2000 and also a few VHF/UHF mobile radios?

As for buying one just remember that having "everything" in one box is a compromise and wont beat a dedicated HF radio! I do know a couple of people with the TS-2000 and find them great
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk

If you have to have a large 'shack in a box' then the TS-2000 is the best... it's less of a compromise than the old FT-847, outperforming it on HF. A near neighbour of mine has the TS-2000, great tx audio but it's a little deaf compared to my IC-756 on HF.

I'd want to play around with one before parting with the money... my local detests the button layout and to be honest, the radio is far too much for him to get to grips with but he is getting on a bit, bless him

At the very least, it'll make any other rigs you have look good, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and only skin deep ...apparantly

Have Kenwood recently merged (swallowed up?) by another Japanese electrical giant , JVC I think?

cheers,
    Andy
    Andy

A base rig will have better performance , be easier to use with a bigger display and run a bit cooler. Having said that many of the portable rigs are based on homebase rigs anyway! I have heard very good reports on the 2000, but has others have said its been around for a while, but I believe its not menu driven so should be easy to use.

I would suggest, if you want an HF base rig, go for the Icom 756Pro or the new 7600. Class leading DSP, scope and many more features, its menu driven but has plenty of buttons on the front and the large LCD is a god send. I run an IC-7000 in the car and a 756Pro at home.
    James
    http://www.m0bov.co.uk
    HamRadioForum founding member and moderator

Quote Originally Posted by m0bov
    A base rig will have better performance , be easier to use with a bigger display and run a bit cooler. Having said that many of the portable rigs are based on homebase rigs anyway! I have heard very good reports on the 2000, but has others have said its been around for a while, but I believe its not menu driven so should be easy to use.

I would suggest, if you want an HF base rig, go for the Icom 756Pro or the new 7600. Class leading DSP, scope and many more features, its menu driven but has plenty of buttons on the front and the large LCD is a god send. I run an IC-7000 in the car and a 756Pro at home.
    The TS-2000 definitely has menus...that's what has lost my elderly near neighbour.

'new 7600'? I've been looking at a 7400, and dreaming about the 7700

I couldn't have an HF rig without the bandscope now (on the 7400 it's not that great)... I put this down as a gimmick long ago, but like many others, I've chnaged my mind. it's fantastic for picking up activity in big bands such as 10 & 15m.
    Andy

well i was considering the ft 2000,but have read many reviews that claim it's not set up right out of the box,and needs a lot of menus tweaking to get it to operate properly,also considered the 756 pro3,not read anything bad about that one,but i'm not convinced about the band scope thing,on the 897d the band scope is useless,tells you nothing,and the receive is muted while it's on so you can't hear a thing.I'm assuming the 756 band scope is not like that,on the you tube video's there appears to be sound while it's on,but i can't see how it indicates anything usefull,just looks like it shows strong signals on various parts of the band,could be hash for all i know until i tune there.

anyway, a ts 2000 has come up for sale secondhand at a good price,and i sort of know it's history(never got used much,two previous owners,first never transmitted after the initial qso and died,second owner never goes on the air much anyway)so there is a slight advantage there,but there are also secondhand models of the above two radio's as well, available at dealers,but they want high prices for them.finally,I could buy a new version of any one of the above radio's if i wanted to instead,and get the guarantee.the ft 2000 has the power supply built in which is better for me.

the last dealer i went to was not helpfull at all,did not want to advise,and there was no chance of seeing a single radio in action before buying it,hell he even sold me a useless 4 meter offcut of coax because he couldn't be bothered to cut me a bigger bit from a roll :shock: based on my location,you can probably guess which one i went to.............

Quote Originally Posted by alvin 1230_0
    well i was considering the ft 2000,but have read many reviews that claim it's not set up right out of the box,and needs a lot of menus tweaking to get it to operate properly,<snip>
    It's 'not set right' out of the box, because it is user configureable, and the factory settings are all a starting point. Experiment and choose the settings you prefer and it's excellent, no problems. It is not a radio for an 'appliance' user.

It is also the most ergonomic TX/RX currently available, and NEW technology, not something based on a 10 year old design

well i was considering the ft 2000,but have read many reviews that claim it's not set up right out of the box,and needs a lot of menus tweaking to get it to operate properly,also considered the 756 pro3,not read anything bad about that one,but i'm not convinced about the band scope thing,on the 897d the band scope is useless,tells you nothing,and the receive is muted while it's on so you can't hear a thing.I'm assuming the 756 band scope is not like that,on the you tube video's there appears to be sound while it's on,but i can't see how it indicates anything usefull,just looks like it shows strong signals on various parts of the band,could be hash for all i know until i tune there.
    The IC-756 has a real time display, there are plenty of gimmicky implementations of 'bandscope' out there, some just a slow bandsweep that shows a poor historic display of activity, the IC-756 has it about right.

The problem with youtube is that they want to show all the flashing lights and tend to have it set-up for visual excitement rather than how most use it when operating... the display can be attenuated at various levels, and when set up well, it will just show spikes from signals, not all the mush. However, if you are plagued by birdies, then that can be a problem, although with just a few, you tend to know where they are anyway.

Last evening on 20m, I spotted a new signal appear about 70khz away whilst listening to some EA or similar, I went straight to it and it was a PY starting up... I was in there and worked him with 10w before the masses arrived, in fact I was the first to put him up on the cluster (work them first, then advertise them!!). The same happened with an A9 last week who was tuning up on 17m before calling cq... i was the first to work him and had a decent qso before he appeared on the cluster and the pile-up started.

Look on eham, many of the 'old boys' were dismissive of the 756 bandscope, like myself, but everyone changes their mind after a week or so of using it. I'd feel in the dark without it now.

the last dealer i went to was not helpfull at all,did not want to advise,and there was no chance of seeing a single radio in action before buying it,hell he even sold me a useless 4 meter offcut of coax because he couldn't be bothered to cut me a bigger bit from a roll :shock: based on my location,you can probably guess which one i went to.............
    I don't know any amateur radio shops up there... name and shame!! If they smell money and a good sale, most decent shops will go out of their way to help, although some have an agenda in what items they 'push'.

I spoke to 3 guys on HF yesterday using TS-2000's, all sounded great.

cheers,
    Andy
    Andy

Sorry, no naming and shaming allowed here! :shock:

I'd never buy an HF rig without band scope, I find it that useful. I have a 7000 and its not real time, but is its useful, helps me when on 10M - 20M, not so useful on 40M or 80M!

There are one or two large outlets in the Midlands, most seem to be around South East, might be worth a train ride to one? I know they have showrooms and will setup the rig up for you if you arrange it. TBH I think you'll be pleased with either the TS2000 or 756Pro, you don't need to get the Mk3, I have the MK1. Maybe try and download the manuals for the rigs and have a read. The 756Pro MK3 has similar DSP gubbins as in the 7800 monster rig, again I am biased but its a cracking rig!
    James

well I've been making a lot of contacts on hf actually,and prefer it,but i've made some friends on 2m and have started using that a bit more now so i think it's going to be the kenwood.can i ask a question? will the hf receiver in the kenwood be at least as good as the one in the yeasu ft 897? i don't really need a better receiver than the one in the yeasu,because i don't have masses of power available to get back to weak stations,and have to rely on the stronger ones usually(otherwise they don't hear me).

You'd need to compare specs, look at the filters available (if any). Try and visit an emporium and site them next to each other and compare, that;'s what I do if I can faced with two rigs I like. With the 756 I noticed the differance straight away.
    James

Right the kenwood's been ordered,it will be here soon! can't wait.

Right the kenwood's been ordered,it will be here soon! can't wait.
    Fantastic, hope you like it

there was nobody in at the house today for a total of 1 hour out of 24,and the delivery man decided to turn up with my kenwood during this time,so now i have to wait until tomorrow to get it instead,had to leave a message on an automated phone system to arrange a re delivery. :evil:

there was nobody in at the house today for a total of 1 hour out of 24,and the delivery man decided to turn up with my kenwood during this time,so now i have to wait until tomorrow to get it instead,had to leave a message on an automated phone system to arrange a re delivery. :evil:
    That really sucks, I'm sure they have people just to make sure this sort of thing happens!!!

I'm sure Alvin is busy with his new TS-2000 right now... maybe knocking off some of the more exotic IOTA stations out there this weekend
    Good luck wit the new radio Alvin.
    Andy

yes I've been busy making contacts with the contest stations,but never managed to get the iota ones this time :evil: on a more positive note,I managed the contacts on 5w qrp.

the kenwood seems nice,the dsp is pretty good,but I'm not keen on the microphone,it sounds cheap,would have thought a better one would have been supplied,I'm going to get a decent desk microphone that sounds natural.

Ah, you didn't get that KH6 then ...neither did I, not that I had a cat in hell's chance.
    Surprised that you're not getting good audio reports.... tx audio has always been Trio/Kenwood's forte, and hand mic's usually deliver safe and reliable audio, albeit not dramtically powerful.
    Andy