Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for day to day logging

Default Re: What do you use for day to day logging

I use HRD for day to day stuff, and paper (yes, thats the floppy stuff made from tree's that is often bound together in what used to be called a book ) for the special stuff.
    I bought a Deluxe log book for 2009 which i will use on anything out of a 50 mile radius of where i live.
    MW6 DAV/P & /M mostly at the moment

seems worth noting how many UK Operators still maintain logbooks, having had the formal stipulation removed in 2006 - long may it continue!

(And yes, I still use a log book, though there hasnt been any entries made for some month due to a lack of equipment) :lol:
    Jon, EI7GNB/MIØJVI http://www.jonsmyth.co.uk

Beware the lightning that lurketh in an undischarged capacitor lest it cause thee to be bounced upon thy buttocks in a most ungentlemanly manner!

Hi

Worth a look is the DXlab suite By Dave Bernstein AA6YQ - superb logging software, and the databases are in MS Access format, so easy to create your own reports, searches etc using SQL.

I also use win-test for contesting, Minos for VHF contesting and HRD. - All logs are maintained on 3 separate machines, and backups kept on an external usb drive and 2 usb sticks

73 de Charlie GI4FUE

Like a few others have stated, I'm using HRD exclusively in the shack for day to day logging. In my opinion you won't find a better "all round" software tool (including electronic logging) for the price. I do use N3FJP contest logging software when working contests and afterwards will export into HRD for the master log.

Jerry
    Host of the Practical Amateur Radio Podcast - Creating Elmers one podcast at a time. http://www.myamateurradio.com/

Winlog32 is used in this humble shack.
    It's simple, easy, effective & does what it says on the tin.

N1MM for contests, again simple & easy to use.
    Is there a theme running here :lol:
    Regards,
    Martyn

'Footprints in history aren't made by those who remain seated"

a theme.. well both where made using Visual Basic 6.0 as the language behind them and both are free?
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk

Sorry Peter, nothing so technical

The theme to which I refer is 'simplicity' and believe me for me to use anything effectively it must be simple :lol:
    Regards,
    Martyn

'Footprints in history aren't made by those who remain seated"

OK, mad idea time re contest loggers.

Now we all have our favorite contest loggers.

What if there was a way for the contest loggers (Win-Test, N1MM, etc) were able to talk to each other. My club likes N1MM, I like Win-Test would be nice if those 2 could interact.

Too much to ask. Probably.
    Paul, MØTZO - my websites
    Please PM me if you wish to change your username to your callsign

You mean like an API event that a 3rd party app can react to ? I'm in the middle of a project called MiniLog which is a very simple Windows log program designed for /P use - adding 3rd party support would be quite easy, either it sending out data or reacting to it. For those non-programmers out there, it'd be along the lines of instant-messaging but not just plain text: so one logger could be set as a "server" and run a DX Cluster link, the others could slave off it and perhaps filter the band/s of interest. QSOs can either be added on-the-fly or each logging instance re-loads the other network QSO logs every 10s or so...

We use Tucnak for our VHF contests - it allows for simple text-chat between ops (for skeds) and an on-the-fly lookup of QSOs for a) your band, b) other bands and c) full database lookup. It works very well but I have no idea if it'll talk to other apps!
    Charlie - M0PZT

Further to this... I've now posted my MiniLog project on my website: http://www.m0pzt.net/projects.php#MiniLog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    Charlie - M0PZT

Minilog looks nice and simple! sure lots of people will find that useful, I've been playing around the with the HRD5 beta releases, but can't believe the new logbook uses over 100mb of ram just for inputting stuff into a database!

I'll stick to it for the time being and hope its ram footprint can be contained
    Peter, 2E0SQL - http://www.2e0sql.co.uk

I still haven't gotten around to trying the latest HRD update - I know that the new logbook is not to my liking (or wasn't the last time I tried it) - it wouldn't export to a tabbed-text file which is how it's displayed on my website. As my MiniLog program - the DXCluster window is working fine, but the chat system is still needing some work. Eventually it'll allow several users (eg: multi-op /P site) to slave from 1 MiniLog and grab the DX Cluster traffic - so only 1 mobile broadband dongle would be required and no faffing about with ICS or routers
    Charlie - M0PZT

My original log was paper, but in 1963 u didn't have much choice. Around 1988 i started using Log-EQF and then Win-EQF. the past few years I have been using the Ham Radio Deluxe suite.... Excellent program! I was able to import all my contacts logged in Win-EQF so I didn't lose anything.

(I guess if I loaded some of the available software I could answer this myself, but...)

Why not just use a spreadsheet like Excel? Columns for date/time (UTC), callsign, handle, location, RST, mode, etc. What do the dedicated apps have that this doesn't (and it has the advantage of being stored in a common-readable format - I can run it in Excel in Windows, OpenOffice in Linux, ??(Excel?) on a Mac - I think even my Android phone can read it.

druid - VA7LAS
    There's 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

ARRL Logbook.

for contesting in Australia i use the following softwear

VK CONTEST LOGGER a 100% free Program and covers from 160 meters , 2 meters 40m , 80m and behond

3 year's on and I'm using my own PZTLog software for logging my QSOs: http://www.m0pzt.com/?pztlog It's purely a "selfish" project but is available for download/critique - I've added features that most people will use as well as those that I need. It currently updates my website with a "Last 10 QSOs", "OnAir Status" and QSO GoogleMap and Band-Stats as well as offering DXCC info, QRA Locator distance+bearing plus DX Cluster and other goodies.

It runs in 2 modes: Simple and Full - the Simple mode is a basic QSO entry window with optional DX Cluster+Log windows if required:

The Full mode contains everything "built-in":

I've recently added support for OmniRig so can control and read-back info from the radio, and entering a QSO can be done via a single entry field with PZTLog interpreting the value into the correct field, eg: It knows that M0PZT is a Callsign, JO01FS is a Locator, 59S is an RST-S, 59001 is an RST-R, TL60 is a WAB Square, EU-099 is an IOTA and so on. It certainly beats having to Tab through various fields just to enter the right bit of information and also makes the Shack neater as I'm not scribbling QSOs on Post-It Notes!
    Charlie - M0PZT

I'm new to HAM and looking for a logging solution that has an Android component for logging while on my H/T. Any suggestions?

Sent from my XT875

I use 73 hamlog.

Roger
    Have a great day.
    K5MOW

I use MacLoggerDX HD...but maybe some of you can help me? I don't use a laptop in conjunction with the radio...I use an iPad but also, not plugged into the radio.any practical advise from those who use this app as to how to upload to eQSL?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD